Understanding the differences between human hair and synthetic hair is a good starting point for selecting the perfect wig or hairpiece. So here you will find the main differences and the pros and cons.
Natural hair wigs are created from harvested human hair, so they look, feel and act just like your own hair. Synthetic wigs are created from man-made fibers using specialized technology to give the overall appearance and feel of real hair.
Human Hair Pros:
1. Styling Versatility. Can be styled just like your own hair. Some can even be colored.
2. Texture. Human hair wigs come in a variety of textures, so you can match your own hair texture very closely.
3. Longevity. With proper care, human hair wigs can last a year or more when worn daily.
4. Natural Look. Human hair wigs feel great and can look incredibly natural.
Human Hair Cons:
1. High Maintenance. Just like real hair, human hair wigs need to be washed, deep-conditioned and re-styled frequently.
2. Cost. More expensive.
4. Reacts to Weather. Like your own hair would, human hair wigs react to the weather and can become frizzy, dry, etc.
5. Color Fading. The color of a human hair wig will oxidize or fade with exposure to light.
6. Fragile. The hair will incur damage if subjected to harsh brushing, back-combing or overuse of heated styling tools.
7. Weight. May feel heavier than synthetic wigs of a similar length and style.
8. Styling. Human hair wigs require more effort and skill to style.
Synthetic Hair Pros:
1. Easy and Low Maintenance. Never have to be styled. Just wash, dry and then shake them out, and the wig will return to its initial style. Ideal is you are very busy or going through health problems.
2. Style Memory. Not affected by weather.
3. Large Color Selection. Lots of colors to choose.
4. Cost. Relatively inexpensive.
Synthetic Hair Cons:
1. Shine. Some may have an unnatural shine.
2. Longevity. Synthetic wigs and toppers do not last as long as human hair wigs.
3. Less Versatility. Synthetic wigs cannot styled with hot tools. Color cannot be changed either.
Heat-friendly Synthetic Wigs
They are a special type of synthetic wig that can be styled with hot tools.
1. Style Versatility. Can be straightened, curled, etc. with hot tools to create different looks.
2. Style Retention. After they become wet and air dry, they will return to their most recent heat-styled look.
3. Realistic Looking. Typically less shiny than other synthetic wigs.
4. Consistent. They will not react to weather.
5. Cost. More cost-effective than human hair wigs.
1. Texture. Heat friendly synthetic wigs can become nappy if they are restyled excessively or exposed to abrasive actions
2. Longevity. Do not last as long as human hair wigs or traditional synthetic wigs.
3. Cannot Be Colored. Coloring is not recommended.